Which Asian capital was formerly known as Edo?
Answer: The history of the city of Tokyo stretches back some 400 years. Originally named Edo, the city grew into a huge city with a population of over a million by the mid-eighteenth century. Throughout this time, the Emperor resided in Kyoto, which was the formal capital of the nation.
The Edo Period lasted for nearly 260 years until the Meiji Restoration in 1868, when the Tokugawa Shogunate ended and imperial rule was restored. The Emperor moved to Edo, which was renamed Tokyo. Thus, Tokyo became the capital of Japan.
Tokyo, Japan’s busy capital, mixes the ultramodern and the traditional, from neon-lit skyscrapers to historic temples. The opulent Meiji Shinto Shrine is known for its towering gate and surrounding woods. The Imperial Palace sits amid large public gardens. The city’s many museums offer exhibits ranging from classical art (in the Tokyo National Museum) to a reconstructed kabuki theater (in the Edo-Tokyo Museum).
Area: 2,188 km²
Metropolitan area: 13,572 km²
Local time: Friday, 4:42 AM
Weather: 12°C, Wind NW at 3 km/h, 90% Humidity
- Tokyo (, Japanese: [toːkʲoː] ( listen)), officially Tokyo Metropolis, is the capital city of Japan and one of its 47 prefectures.
The Tokyo subway sarin attack (Subway Sarin Incident (地下鉄サリン事件, Chikatetsu Sarin Jiken) was an act of domestic terrorism perpetrated on March 20, 1995, in Tokyo, Japan, by members of the cult movement Aum Shinrikyo.
Tokio Hotel is a German rock band, founded in 2001 by singer Bill Kaulitz, guitarist Tom Kaulitz, drummer Gustav Schäfer, and bassist Georg Listing.
Twitter based search results
- aninha quer fotografar
- RT @riibrego: tracking my progress through the years using tokyo mew mew fanart (2013 -> 2015 -> 2018) 🐾✨ https://t.co/9G5iPUXtyG
- L I G H T S K I N Y A G A M I
- I heard the Tokyo Ghoul Re dub for 2 minutes and said “Nah”
- Nitemare Bull
- I liked a @YouTube video https://t.co/63BRZKNt0U BABYMETAL – LIVE AT TOKYO DOME Trailer
- la pince
- RT @LaCasa2Papel: Les meufs qui veulent ressembler a Tokyo, vous êtes comme ça en vrai https://t.co/T0xqmQUY33
- Alyssa Vingan Klein
- Tag yourself, I am Austin bouncing around Tokyo wearing a Pikachu backpack: https://t.co/I6YX6HbrqY @PRETTYMUCH
BING based search results
- Tokyo (/ ˈ t oʊ k i oʊ /, Japanese: ( listen)), officially Tokyo Metropolis, is the capital city of Japan and one of its 47 prefectures. The Greater Tokyo Area is …
- Tokyo Tourism: TripAdvisor has 1,121,251 reviews of Tokyo Hotels, Attractions, and Restaurants making it your best Tokyo resource.
- Explore Tokyo holidays and discover the best time and places to visit. | Yoking past and future, Tokyo dazzles with its traditional culture and passion for everything …
- Tōkyō (東京) is the capital of Japan. At over 13 million people in the official metropolitan area alone, Tokyo is the core of the most populated urban area in the …
- 1 minute from Gotanda Station on the Yamanote. Easy access to central Tokyo, perfect for tourism and business. Rooms with washer/dryer and free Wi-Fi.
- Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Tokyo, Japan on TripAdvisor: See 286,336 traveler reviews and photos of Tokyo tourist attractions. Find what to …
- Planning a trip to Tokyo? Here at Tokyo.com, we have everything you need! From shopping to sightseeing or culture, from its restaurants to its fashion, Tokyo is a hub …
- View CNN’s Tokyo Travel Guide to explore the best things to do and places to stay, plus get insider tips, watch original video and read inspiring narratives.
- Tokyo Marathon
- The official web site of one of the asia’s largest marathons. Course map, history and application form. (Sunday, February 25, 2018)。
- Tokyo offers unparalleled attractions. The intersection of rich traditions and world-leading technologies, and home to diverse cultures, our city continuously creates …